This 1 Hour Homemade Rosemary Bread is a delicious, crispy bread baked with freshly chopped rosemary and topped with sea salt. It is great as an appetizer dipped in high quality olive oil or served as a side with a fresh meal, especially at grill-outs! It’s crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. This recipe is special to me because it is one that my mom made growing up, and still makes today. Everyone gets excited when we find out she’s making it!
This Rosemary Bread is very similar to focaccia bread, but I would say more simple to make and definitely faster. The dough takes only 10-15 minutes to prepare, rises for 20-25 minutes, then bakes for 20-25 minutes. As far as bread making goes, this bread is easy to make!
I don’t know about you, but when I decide I want homemade bread, I want it as soon as possible. I don’t want to wait for hours and hours! That’s one thing I love about this recipe- it is DELICIOUS and comes together fairly quickly.
Notes & Substitutions
Unbleached Organic All Purpose Flour: You can replace the all purpose flour with part whole wheat flour, which I do sometimes. I like to add half of each flour type. I don’t suggest using all whole wheat flour because from my experience it makes the bread more dense keeping it from turning out as light and fluffy.
Natural Liquid Sweetener: You can sub cane sugar for the liquid sugar without being able to tell a difference!
Extra Virgin Olive Oil: I always suggest using a high quality olive oil, but any other oil should work fine. I use Braggs Extra Virgin Olive Oil because it is unrefined, unfiltered and a brand I trust. 100% natural, extra-virgin olive oil is high in antioxidants with many health benefits, but you want to make sure that is what you’re getting. There is a lot of fraud going on in the olive oil market where companies claim the olive oil is one thing but is diluted with other lower quality oils- so do your research and make sure you know what you’re getting!
Here it is! If you make this 1-Hour Homemade Rosemary Bread I would love to know what you think so let me know! Happy cooking, friends!
- 3 cups Unbleached Organic All Purpose Flour
- 2 heaping Tbsp freshly chopped rosemary
- 1¼ cup water, temperature between 100°F and 110°F
- 1 Packet OR 2¼ tsp Active Dry Yeast
- ½ Tbsp salt
- ½ Tbsp Maple Syrup, Agave or Honey (can sub regular sugar)
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt for topping
- Optional: more Extra Virgin Olive Oil or other oil of choice for dipping
- Combine the flour and chopped rosemary in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Bring the temperature of the water between 100°F and 110°F (this is to activate the yeast). I use a candy thermometer to tell the temperature. Add in the active dry yeast, salt, sweetener and olive oil. Stir until everything is dissolved. Let sit 2-4 minutes until it begins foaming at the top. This is how you know it activated.
- Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture and stir until combined. Let sit for 20-25 minutes in a warm place until dough has risen and doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Use olive oil to lightly coat the bottom of a baking sheet and your hands. This will make it easier to handle the dough and prevent it from sticking to your hands. Place the dough on the baking sheet and press out until it is about ¼ inch thick.
- Sprinkle sea salt evenly over the top and place in preheated oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes in preheated oven until it is browned on the edges and on the top.
- Let cool for about 3-4 minutes and then serve immediately. If serving as an appetizer, it is great served with dipping oil (I prefer high quality olive oil). Enjoy!
*This post contains affiliate links, which allows me to make a small commission for my referral, at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Cook up Love!
My favorite bread! The family loved it!