Tomato Basil Pie.. only one of the best summertime dishes! This dairy free version is healthier than traditional Tomato Basil Pie leaving it guilt free! Well… with moderation, that is! It is made with a DELICIOUS fluffy homemade crust, fresh tomatoes, basil, onion and a creamy base.
Tomato Pie has always been one of my favorite summertime dishes, so since I am no longer eating dairy I set out to make a still “cheesy” and creamy dairy free tomato pie. Traditionally, it’s packed with cheese, sour cream and mayo leaving it very high in unhealthy fats and calories. In this version, I tried to use the healthiest ingredients while still keeping a somewhat heavy creamy, cheese like texture.
To start out, you will make the crust, which is quick, easy and so delicious! I have tried numerous pie crust recipes and this one turned out best. The nice thing about it is that instead of butter, you can use any oil of your choice. I used part grapeseed oil and part olive oil.
To replace the cheese mixture in the pie, I chose to make a tofu, vegan parmesan and mayo mixture. It’s creamy with a delicious flavor!
The only other ingredients are 2 fresh tomatoes, a small yellow onion and basil! Simple as that!
I would love to know what you think!! Please share comments and pictures of how it turns out for you! Happy cooking, friends!
- For the Crust:
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour (Here's what I recommend!)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 7 Tbsp oil
- ½ cup cold water
- For the Filling:
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced fairly thin
- ½ cup basil, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 14 oz. block organic firm tofu
- ½ cup mayo (recipe here)
- ½ cup dairy free parmesan (recipe here)
- ½ tsp onion powder
- Wisk together the flour, salt and baking powder.
- Next, pour in the oil and cold water over the dry ingredients. Stir with a fork until the dough is evenly moistened.
- Once combined into a dough, roll the dough out into a 12 in. circle and place in pie pan. If you want to save time, you can just press the dough into the pie pan, but it may not be as pretty. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Drain and press tofu in a clean towel. You want to get as much moisture out as you can. Place tofu, mayo, dairy free parmesan and onion powder in food processor and process until combined and creamy.
- Place crust in preheated oven for 7 minutes, remove from oven.
- To layer the pie, first spread half of the tofu mixture on the bottom. Next, arrange all of the onion and about ⅔ of the tomatoes (leave enough tomato slices to cover the top of the pie- about 7 slices). Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Next, stir the basil in with the second half of tofu mixture and spread mixture on top. Lastly, place the remaining tomato slices on top of the pie. Bake for 25 minutes and then let cool for about 10 minutes before cutting.
Leave a Reply