These Southwest inspired Mexican Green Chili Black Bean Burgers with Sriracha Mayo are the perfect dose of flavor & spice!! I am so excited to share this recipe with you because it is such a fun variation of plain burgers. These can easily be enjoyed any time of the year, but with late Spring and Summer just around the corner, I’d say now is the perfect time to enjoy these beauties.
The nice thing about these burgers is that you can easily control how spicy they are depending on whether you use mild or hot green chili’s. If you like spice, definitely grab the hot ones! You can also control how spicy the Sriracha Mayo is by how much you combine with your plain mayo.
These burgers are quick & easy to make, taking only about 30 minutes from start to finish!
On my burgers, I used lettuce, tomato and onion. Some toppings that would also be great are: avocado, guacamole, cilantro, salsa or extra green chilis!
These patties would also be great wrapped in lettuce or over a salad. Those are both great options especially if you’re gluten free or trying to stay away from carbs.
I would love to know what you think!! Please share comments and pictures of how it turns out for you! Happy cooking, friends!
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 4 oz can green chilis (mild or hot, depending on preference)
- ¼ cup grated onion
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- ¾ cup bread crumbs (use gluten free if needed)
- 1 whole egg
- ½ tbsp cumin
- ½ tbsp chili powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ~2 tbsp oil or butter for pan frying patties
- ¼ cup mayo (recipe here)
- ¼ tsp- 1 tsp sriracha (depending on taste)
- In a medium size mixing bowl, pour in your rinsed black beans and make sure they are as dry as possible. Mash your black beans with a fork.
- Next, add in the green chilis, grated onion, ketchup, bread crumbs, egg and the 4 spices. and stir until completely combined.
- Divide the mixture into fourths and form into thick patties. If you have trouble forming them, make them more into balls and then you can press them down in the skillet to form a patty. They will firm up once cooked.
- Place a non-stick skillet on medium heat with about 2 Tbsp butter or oil. Once melted, place your patties on the skillet and let cook for about 4 minutes or until the bottom has browned. Flip and cook the other side until browned. If you want the patties to be more firm, press down slightly on each patty with your spatula to get any extra moisture out and cook a little bit longer.
- For the sriracha mayo: mix mayo and sriracha. Begin with ¼ tsp sriracha and slowly add more according to taste.
- Garnish burgers and enjoy!