If you haven’t been able to tell by now, I love Mexican style food!! Especially these Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes! They are the PERFECT mix of salty and sweet that may seem weird at first but they are the perfect combination of ingredients. Something about them is SO satisfying! Also, I think this is my healthiest go-to meal. Other than the sweet potatoes taking about an hour to cook, everything else takes less than 30 minutes to get ready!
Each serving is packed with 5 beautiful different colors making it great to serve to guests (and very nutritious)!
These Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are sweet potatoes topped with sautéed onion, corn and black beans with a creamy homemade sauce, avocado and cilantro to garnish! If you want to spice it up you can always add siracha and/or crushed red pepper on top as well.
I would love to know what you think!! Please share comments and pictures of how it turns out for you! Happy cooking, friends!
- 4 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 15 oz. can corn, drained
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup mayo (recipe here)
- ¼ cup salsa + 2 Tbsp + more for topping
- ¼ tsp taco seasoning
- 1-2 avocados for topping
- Cilantro for topping
- Sriracha for topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Wash sweet potatoes and wrap each one in foil. Place in the oven to bake. Check after about 45 minutes. If fork pierces through the skin easily and the inside is soft then it is done. If it is still a little hard, let it cook for 10-15 more minutes.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, chop your onion, drain the corn, and drain and rinse the black beans. Have them all ready by the stove.
- Sauté the onion on medium high heat in about 1 Tbsp of olive oil until slightly browned. Next, add the corn until it is slightly browned as well. Then take off the heat and mix in the salsa first, then fold in the black beans.
- To make the sauce: stir together the mayo, 2 Tbsp salsa & ¼ tsp taco seasoning.
- Stuff each sweet potato with the onion mixture, sauce, diced avocado, cilantro, and sriracha if desired! Enjoy 🙂
This is one of my favorite meals – I could eat it every week!