If you are looking for a comforting, go-to plant based lasagna- this Loaded Veggie Lasagna is for you! It is packed with delicious yellow squash, zucchini, onion, garlic, lentils, tofu ricotta, and a savory homemade red sauce. Rich & full of comforting flavor.
This recipe is very straight forward and perfect paired with a simple side salad. I came up with this recipe a few months ago and since then JR often asks me to make it, so ladies this is husband approved 💁🏻! This lasagna takes about 40 minutes to prep and 40 minutes to bake, so if time is an issue on weeknights for you here are some suggestions!
- You can make it on the weekend and have left overs during the week.
- Make each of the 3 layers in the morning or night before and have them ready on hand to layer the lasagna.
- Freeze the lasagna up to a month ahead of time. Let it defrost during the day and then bake it that night.
I would love to know what you think of this dish!! Please share comments and pictures of how it turns out for you! Happy cooking, friends!
- 1 large yellow squash, diced
- 2 large zucchini, diced
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, diced (about 2½ cups)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 28 oz tomato sauce
- 15 oz petite diced tomatoes
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp italian seasoning
- ½ Tbsp oregano
- Few dashes pepper
- 2½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup raw cashews
- 1 14 oz block extra firm tofu
- ¼ cup Nutritional seasoning
- 1 Tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp dried or fresh basil, chopped
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 package gluten free ready to bake lasagna noodles (gluten free if needed)
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Have all of your vegetables chopped and ready to go by the stove.
- For the veggies: Sauté the onion and garlic on medium high with 1 Tbsp of olive oil. When soft and fragrant, remove about ⅓ cup and set aside. Add yellow squash, zucchini and an additional 1 Tbsp to the pan with the rest of the onions and sauté until soft and cooked through. Turn of heat and let them sit until ready to layer lasagna.
- For the red sauce: Mix together the ⅓ cup onion mixture (from above), tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, lentils, maple syrup, 1½ tsp salt, Italian seasoning, oregano and pepper. (Make sure the tomato paste if fully mixed in!)
- For the tofu ricotta: drain the tofu and gently press it with a towel for a couple of minutes to remove any excess liquid. You want it to be as dry as possible. In a food processor, add the cashews and process until they make a fine meal. Then add in the tofu, nutritional seasoning, lemon juice, basil, garlic powder and 1 tsp salt. Process until the mixture is combined. It should only take about 15 seconds. Do not over process the mixture.
- Layer and Bake: In a 9 x 13 baking dish, rub enough of the red sauce on the bottom (so noodles won't stick to bottom). place a layer of lasagna noodles, then red sauce, then veggies and then ricotta. Repeat this one more time ending with one last layer of noodles then red sauce. Cover with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes covered and then remove the foil and let bake another 20 minutes. Let the lasagna cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.