Let me start by saying that if you love Mexican style food, these Simple Mexican Enchiladas are for you! They are:
- full of veggies
- filled with plant based protein
- full of flavor & spice
- easy to make
- pretty & colorful
- filling & satisfying
and so SO delicious! These enchiladas are packed with 2 layers. One layer is a mix of sautéed zucchini, yellow squash, and onion while the other layer is a mix of refried beans, salsa and lentils. Stuff your tortillas with those layers, pack them in your dish and then lather them with yummy enchilada sauce! They take about 20 minutes to put together and then 20 minutes to cook. Quick, healthy and perfect for any night of the week!
I would love to know what you think!! Please share comments and pictures of how it turns out for you! Happy cooking, friends!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium size white onion
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 large yellow squash
- 1 15oz can vegetarian refried beans
- 2 cups cooked lentils (equivalent to ⅔ cup dry)
- ⅓ cup salsa
- 1 batch Enchilada Sauce
- 7-8 medium whole wheat tortillas
- Optional for garnish: onion, cilantro, avocado and siracha/hot sauce.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- If your lentils are not cooked, you will need to put them on the stove with about 2 cups of water. Bring them to a soft boil and then let them cook covered on low until fluffy and no liquid left in the bottom of the pot. This takes about 10 minutes.
- Chop the onion, zucchini and squash into small pieces.
- Sauté vegetables in large pan on high heat with olive oil for about 10 minutes or until the vegetables have lost their moisture. Turn off the heat and add in about 4 Tbsp of the enchilada sauce to the vegetables. Set aside.
- Mix together the cooked lentils, salsa and beans.
- Fill your tortillas with a layer of the bean mixture then the vegetable mixture. Fold the tortillas on both ends and place down in your baking dish.
- Pour the sauce over your prepared enchiladas. If you have extra fillings, you can put them on your enchiladas also.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. If you want the edges to be crispy, let them sit in the oven for 1-2 minutes on low broil. Watch carefully to make sure they do not burn.
- Garnish with toppings let them cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Enjoy 🙂
Leave a Reply