This Mushroom and Barley Soup is creamy, savory and full of the most delicious flavor! Definitely one of my new favorite soups! It’s a white wine simmered mixture of mushrooms, onions and garlic that’s thickened into a soup with barley, thyme and seasonings. This soup is perfect in the Fall and Winter, and sure to impress guests!
It wasn’t until the last few months that I began cooking barley and I was instantly in love with it. Since then it has become a staple in my house. Barley is a whole grain high in essential nutrients with many health benefits! Some of its main health benefits are that it is:
- high in fiber & protein
- high vitamins like thiamine & vitamin B’s
- high in minerals like manganese, phosphorus, magnesium, zinc & iron
- known to decrease your chances of type 2 diabetes
- helps prevent heart disease
.. and the list goes on! This soup is good for the body and good for the soul. It is the perfect winter soup, and one to impress guests when they come over. Warm, filling, rich, and satisfying. And did I mention it is fairly simple to make and only takes one pot!?
SHOP THIS POST
I hope you love this Mushroom and Barley Soup as much as I do and would love to know what you think!! Please share comments and pictures of how it turns out for you! Happy cooking, friends!
- 1 Large White Onion
- 16 oz White Button Mushrooms
- 8 oz. Portabello Mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ cup White Wine
- 4 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 4 Tbsp Flour
- 1 cup Coconut Milk, Unsweetened
- 5 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 cup Pearled Barley
- ½ tsp Fresh Thyme (can substitute Dried Thyme)
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- Finely chop the onion and roughly chop the mushrooms.
- Saute onion in large pot with 1 Tbsp of olive oil until soft and very fragrant, about 6 minutes.
- Add all mushrooms, white wine, and garlic to the pot. Cook on medium high heat, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes until mushrooms are completely cooked down and there is just a little bit of liquid in the bottom of the pot.
- Add flour with 1 Tbsp of olive oil and stir until flour is completely combined in without any clumps.
- Add vegetable broth, coconut milk, barley, nutritional seasoning, thyme, salt and pepper. Combine and bring to a boil then turn down to low with the top on. Stir the soup occasionally to make sure nothing sticks to the bottom.
- In 35-40 minutes you should be able to tell the soup has thickened and the barley should be soft and chewy. At that point, the soup is ready. Enjoy!
My pot of mushroom and barley soup is on the stove. It looks and tastes wonderful Thank you for the recipe.
And btw, your website is beautiful. Good job!
Thank you very much, Roxanne. It’s one of my favorite soups!!
There is no such thing as gluten free barley.
You’re right! Thank’s for pointing that out, sorry it was mislabeled. It’s corrected now!