What’s one of the things I miss most about eating dairy, you ask?? Pimento cheese!! And let me tell you that this Chickpea Pimento Salad is here to the rescue. It’s the perfect alternative. This salad is creamy, savory and so full of flavor. Not to mention it’s a great source of plant based protein!
I created this recipe before the holiday season a few months ago and it’s SO good that I brought it to most of the gatherings I went to. I even had people ask for the recipe, which was a big deal because it was probably the healthiest dip at each get together! I guess I tricked people into eating healthier. 😉
This Chickpea Pimento Salad is the perfect go-to dip to bring to parties and to serve when anyone comes over. It’s great served:
- as a dip with crackers
- on a sandwich
- in a lettuce or regular wrap
- as a substitute on a “cheese” board, with olives, jams, spreads, crackers, etc.
This salad can be made ahead of time and is great served at either room temperature or cold! You will only need 9 ingredients and this dip comes together in about 20 minutes as long as you have everything ready and on hand.
First, you mash the chickpeas and then you add everything except the roasted red peppers. That includes mayo, lemon juice, grated onion, nutritional seasoning, smoked paprika, salt, and garlic powder. Once that is all mixed together you gently mix in the peppers and voila! That’s it! Honestly, the main part of the recipe is mashing the chickpeas.
SHOP THIS POST
I would love to know what you think of this Chickpea Pimento Salad!! Please share comments and pictures of how it turns out for you! Happy cooking, friends!
- 2 cans chickpeas
- 3 Tbsp Mayo (recipe here)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ¾ cup roasted red peppers, chopped (you can use freshly roasted or from a jar), OR you can use regular pimentos
- 1 Tbsp grated white or yellow onion
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast seasoning
- ½ Tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Drain chickpeas and mash until all chickpeas are squished.
- Add the mayo, lemon juice, grated onion, and all spices. Mix the ingredients well. I use the back of a large spoon to almost "cream" the mixture as much as possible.
- Next, add in the chopped roasted red peppers and gently mix them in.
- Serve dip with crackers, chips, on a sandwich or burger, or whatever other creative way you desire!
- Enjoy 😀
*This post contains affiliate links, which allows me to make a small commission for my referral, at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Cook up Love!
I made this today after seeing your IG a couple days ago. it’s so deliscious. I make a couple really good Chickpea Salads but never one with smoked paprika and it’s lovely! I’m looking forward to lunches this week. And I agree with you that it would be liked by carnivores too. Thanks!
Thank you!! I am so glad you like it 🙂
Lightie D Durley
Maurice & I loved this. We ate it on crackers, as a dip with Tostitos and as a sandwich–the dip was our favorite. Will definitely make again soon.
So glad y’all enjoyed it 🙂 Thanks for the feedback!
This is such a delicious and healthy alternative to pimento cheese. Making it again this weekend!