At least once a week I crave a big leafy green salad, but I always struggle to find one that is delicious and filling: until now! This Mexican Quiona Salad is savory, flavorful and the perfect go-to meal that never seems to get old. It is one of my favorite salads, ever! Not to mention it is made with whole grains and is naturally gluten free & plant based. This salad will leave you feeling healthy and your body will love you for it!
You begin with a bed of lettuce and end with a mixture of black beans, corn, onions, salsa, quinoa, tomatoes, avocado & cilantro on top. This salad is fresh, flavorful & filling and bound to impress your family and any guests that ever come over!
This salad only takes 30 minutes to prepare and 10 ingredients!!
I would love to know what you think!! Please share comments and pictures of how it turns out for you! Happy cooking, friends!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ½ large onion, diced (~1½ cups diced onion)
- 1 15 oz can hominy corn, drained
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained
- 1 cup salsa + extra for topping
- Romaine or other lettuce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Avocado, diced
- Tomato, diced
- To cook the quinoa, combine the vegetable broth and quinoa in a pot and bring to a soft boil. When it starts to boil, turn to low and let cook covered until fluffy and has absorbed all liquid. (about 10-15 minutes)
- While the quinoa is cooking, sauté the onion in 1 Tbsp olive oil on medium high until soft and fragrant. Add in the corn with 1 more Tbsp olive oil and cook until it is slightly browned (sauté every minute to make sure it doesn't stick).
- Once the mixture is slightly browned, take off heat and stir in the salsa and cooked quinoa.
- Next, fold in the black beans and add salt and pepper to taste, if needed.
- Top with lots of cilantro, diced onion, avocado and extra salsa!
- Enjoy 🙂