Today I am bringing you the recipe for this enchilada sauce and many reasons why you should make it! This enchilada sauce is easy to make while being SO much healthier and tastier for you than store bought. If you like Mexican style food, this should be a staple in your kitchen! You can pack your tortillas full of whatever Mexican style ingredients you want, and then pour this flavorful sauce over them. I recommend making this sauce in bulk and freezing it, that way when you want a quick and easy dinner you can whip it together in a gif. If enchiladas are a food that have been looked over in your kitchen- start making them! 😋
I will be sharing some specific enchilada recipes, but I want to encourage you that they are a fun food to play around with in the kitchen. You can add black beans, refried beans, lentils, sautéed onions, garlic, peppers, tomatoes, squash, zucchini, spinach and whatever else you would like! This sauce will cover anywhere from 7-10 enchiladas and I suggest baking them in the oven for 20 minutes on 350°F.
If you make this sauce I would love to know what you think!! Let me know what you like to put in your enchiladas and how they turn out! Happy cooking, friends!
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 Tablespoons flour (gluten free all- purpose works great)
- 1½ Tbsp chili powder
- ½ Tbsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- Dash of cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2.5 cups vegetable broth
- First, make sure you have your tomato paste and vegetable broth measured out and beside the stove.
- Mix oil, flour and seasonings in saucepan. Heat on medium high heat stirring until fragrant and simmering (about 1 -2 minutes).
- Add the tomato paste and then immediately add the vegetable broth. Stir constantly.
- When the liquid begins to simmer, turn the heat down to low and let it stay at a simmer until it has thickened. That should take about 4-5 minutes.
- Now on to making enchiladas! Enjoy 🙂